Tinnitus – Ringing in the Ear
If you hear a ringing, buzzing or odd noise within your ear, you may be experiencing tinnitus. This is an aggravating condition where you hear sounds that are not coming from the outside but are inside your head. There are many possible causes of tinnitus – ringing in the ear – and various treatments that can give you relief. At Julie Zweig, MD Integrative Sleep & ENT, we can perform diagnostic testing to uncover the source of tinnitus and offer treatment options at our clinic in Alpharetta, GA.
Causes of Ringing in the Ear
Tinnitus occurs when you hear sounds without an external source. For many, it is a ringing sound, but it can be described as buzzing, hissing, roaring or other high or low-pitched sounds. It may not be as noticeable when there are more external sounds, but when the outside is quiet, tinnitus can be very loud inside the head and ears. Tinnitus is not a condition, but a symptom associated with hearing loss and other secondary conditions. Possible causes of tinnitus include:
- Earwax impaction- If there is too much cerumen, or earwax, inside the ear, it can affect the ear drum and result in odd noises heard inside the ear.
- Hearing loss- Both conductive and sensorineural hearing loss can result in tinnitus – you may have reduced hearing of external sounds and more internal ringing or buzzing sensations due to blockages or damage inside the ear.
- Middle ear infections- The inflammation and fluid inside the middle ear with infections can cause temporary tinnitus.
- Excessive noise exposure- If you have acoustic trauma or exposure to loud noise, you may experience ringing in the ears for hours, days or weeks, depending on the amount of damage.
- Health conditions- TMJ disorders in the jaw or cardiovascular conditions can result in tinnitus symptoms – these sounds can be pulsating or an enhanced heartbeat sound within the head.
Treatment for tinnitus begins with determining the underlying cause of the noise inside the ears. If the sound is due to a secondary cause, treatment for the contributing condition can relieve the symptoms of tinnitus.
If you have tinnitus and want to explore treatments for relief, come see us at Julie Zweig, MD Integrative Sleep & ENT. Contact our office in Alpharetta, GA, to schedule an appointment with our audiology specialist.